Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Mom's Birthday

Saturday was my Mom's birthday. I made dinner and we took it to her house and had dinner with her there. My grandma made a cake and we all had a good time. I even did the dishes for her before we left.

My mom now refers to herself as "25". My great-grandma would turn her age around when it was to her advantage, and my mom has started to do the same. Maybe I'll do that when I get old too, but for right now I don't want to be 92.

As soon as we sat down to dinner Noah says, "But we didn't sing yet." I tried to explain that we normally sing with the birthday cake, but he wasn't satified with that answer and we all sang to mom before dinner, and then sang again with the cake. Mom, of course, loved it.

My mom is a very unique person. Partly because that's the way God made her (to my dismay at times growing up) and partly because of a brain injury she suffered almost 11 years ago in a car accident. It's become harder and harder for me to distinguish what is her and what is the brain injury the longer it is since the accident. But I am so thankful that she is still here with us. She's a different Mom than before the accident, but I have said since the day of the accident, I'd rather have her this way than not at all.

And even though she's maddening sometimes, I'm so glad my boys get to know their Grandma. When I try to think of being a Mom without my Mom around, or my boys without their beloved Grandma, my heart hurts. I am ever so thankful God saw fit to leave her with us that fateful day so that we could celebrate this day with her, this 52nd birthday.
Happy Birthday Mom!

No comments: