Wednesday, June 25, 2008

How to Fight

We were all in the kitchen when Tim was saying something that I considered to be fairly derogatory about someone and I cut him off and finished what he was saying with something a little less offensive about the person in question. He came right back around and tried to say the same thing again and I snapped, “I understand what you are saying, but there are a lot of little ears listening and I don’t think you need to say it out loud right now.”

I wasn’t really upset, which Tim knew, but I was having to be a little bit forceful to get him to stop his speaking, sometimes he still forgets about the little ears. He didn’t take it poorly or anything, but then….

Eli pipes in, “Why are you guys fighting?”

Knowing we are not fighting Tim says, “We’re not fighting.”

Eli, being the kid growing up that he is says, “Well then how do you guys fight?”

This is really starting to tickle Tim so he says, “Well, how DO we fight?”

“I forget.”

Then after a minute, “Oh, you guys fight with talking.”

Tim and I chuckle at this-I’m envisioning us not talking things out and just resorting to a boxing match every time we have a disagreement like the boys tend to do and it cracks me up.

Then Eli goes on to create a mock fight conversation that we (apparently) would have:

“It’s like this.”

“No it’s not.”

“Yes it is.”

“It’s not like that old man.”

I totally busted out laughing! I didn’t know who was who in his little scenario until he got to the last line, which is obviously me since I’m saying ‘old man’. Tim and I laughed and laughed. I don’t think I’ve ever called Tim an old man, since then of course I’ve referred to him several times as ‘old man’ as that only seems appropriate. Oh, and for the record, when we do fight there is no name-calling, I promise! Not even ‘old man’!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Such a cute story! Your boys are so fun!

Deanna said...

So--we should get you two pairs of boxing gloves for Christmas then?