Monday, February 25, 2013

Threats

Jesse has a temper on him. Don't know where he gets that!

We were talking about being an astronaut one day and he asked if anyone could be an astronaut. I told him that you have to go to a special school to get the training on how to work in outer space and you have to be smart and in shape. I further told him it wasn't anything I was interested in. He said he'd go to astronaut school and take me to outer space. So sweet, even though I wouldn't go.

One evening I had already tucked him in bed and was fixing the covers on Simon's bed when Jesse came over to Simon's bed. I took Jesse by the shoulders and spun him to face his bed and propelled him that way and told him to get back in bed. I wasn't even being mean, I promise! He went, but got all teary eyed.

I asked him what was wrong. He said he was mad at me for making him go to bed. I tucked him in again and I'm laughing. I laugh at the kids when they are being ridiculous. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but it's what happens. He got more mad because I was laughing and then he got all indignant and he said, "Well I'm not going to take you to outer space!"

Well indeed, my heart is broken. I just smiled and said, "Well I guess that is your choice since I'm not an astronaut."

He was apparently not satisfied with my response, as I was not fully remorseful for making him go to bed AND miss my trip to outer space. He upped the ante. "I'm not going to kiss you anymore!"

I just looked at him with my eyebrows raised, because at our house if you make a ridiculous statement like that I will hold you to it so that you are a man of your word, and the boys have learned it's best to not make those overreaching blanket statements in the heat of the moment. He quickly amended, "...for a week."

I again looked at him and said, "Well, that's too bad, I sure will miss those kisses, but that is your decision." And then I smothered him with kisses. Which he laughed, but did not reciprocate.

The next day I was telling Tim about it with Jesse standing by me and then I kissed him, and he kissed me right back. I laughed and said, "I didn't think you could go a whole week without kissing your Mama!" Tim chimed in, "I know I couldn't!"

A week or so later I was cutting chicken for chicken salad and Jesse was stirring the chicken salad. Jesse asked if he could cut the chicken. I told him no, that it was a pretty sharp knife. He said, "But I'm a good cutter! I can cut good!"

"I know you can Jesse, but I'm not comfortable with you using this sharp of a knife. You are only four."

"But I'm a good cutter!"

"I know."

"Fine. Then I'm not taking you to outer space!"

Indeed. We are back to that.

No comments: