Thursday, June 14, 2007

Worker

On this blog I don't reference a lot of things in our lives in an effort to keep our real identities hidden. So this next story I'm telling, if you don't know us this will seem totally off the wall, but those of you who know us and what we do, it will make sense and totally crack you up.

On Saturday I put the little boys down for a nap and Eli stayed up with me. If he started to get cranky I was going to make him lay down; but he was fine so he just hung out doing stuff with me. Then after a while he asked if he could go be with Tim. I told him sure, but to go straight to Tim so he wouldn't bother anything. I figured Tim could use the company anyway.

Sad to say, a little later I thought I saw Tim squatting down on the driveway and I couldn't figure out what he was doing or why he looked so little. Then Tim walked up and I realized it was Eli playing beside the access drive. I had totally forgotten I sent him down with Tim-what kind of mother am I? Anyway, he spent a lot of time with Tim down by the lot while Tim was directing cars.

Later, Tim relayed a story that he had been in the lot helping a car get parked and when he came back out to the driveway Eli was standing there at the edge of the driveway with one foot cocked out and his hand sort of out and down and there were four cars waiting in the driveway because Eli had held them up. Which is exactly what Tim does, and since Tim was busy Eli did it. How precious that he stepped in to help out? He sure can be a little worker!

Tim told him he didn't need to stop cars, but then as we were talking about it and laughing at how odd those people must have thought it was that we had our little 5 year old out there stopping cars, we thought he might be on to something. We figured if he can stop cars without us asking him to and they actually stopped and waited, maybe that would actually be a help to Tim when it gets really busy. We could get him an orange reflective vest so he would be visible and people would know he was a "worker."

Haven't decided about that yet, but Eli seemed to like the idea of helping Tim. He was proud of himself that he stopped the cars for Tim. I was glad that Tim had some help because there were a lot of cars on Saturday and sometimes he gets flustered when they all come at once.

No comments: