Sunday, November 11, 2007

Naming the Baby

We are starting to talk about names for the baby. I have pretty strict criteria for a name:

-it should be a Bible name
-preferably two syllables (goes with our last name)
-can't be shortened (i.e. Timothy to Tim)
-the middle name will be a name from one of our families like our other boys.

I asked the boys what they thought and here's what they've come up with so far:

Washington D.C. (Eli)

God (Noah)

Haggi (Tim-just to irritate his mom I think)

George (Eli)

God (Noah)

Please note that if a name is seriously in the running you will never see it on this blog until the baby is born. We won't tell the name ahead of time, it's just how we are.

I did hear a name in church that I like, but it's three syllables, and could possibly be shortened, but I'm not sure to what. To be on the safe side I won't mention it.

There is a name that I tried to get Tim to go for for Noah and really pushed for for Simon until we thought of Simon. Tim likes it now, but now I'm not sure. Since he shot me down twice with it, it's hard to entertain it again since I thought he'd never go for it. He said it wasn't different enough from Eli and Noah and that's part of why we picked a new testament name for Simon.

I think picking names is so much fun! Now if we were having a girl, I would have a hard time because there aren't many girl Bible names, so I don't know if we would stick to that rule or not. I also have several family names that I really would like to use for a girl, but alas, I guess I'll have to just get a girl dog or something! From Tim's side I would have probably picked Clara (his great-grandma on his mom's side) and from my side I would have picked Lillie (my great-great-grandma who was a generous, hard working, wonderful woman).

As of now, we don't even have a list of possibilites, we're just in the "talk about it" and "throw it out there" phase. We still have four months to talk about it and I have names to look up in my baby name book once we get some real possibilities. It's fun because people try to figure out what his name will be based on our criteria and the names we tend to pick-people come up with some crazy stuff!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

One of my clients told me I should name Jacob Detroit Michigan. Detroit has two syllables. Oh...and so does Jacob. :)

Anonymous said...

We'll keep guessing.........