Friday, September 17, 2010

The Internet Saga

I'm sure most of you were really wanting to know, or not so much, but it's big news for us---we finally have high speed internet!!!!

Turns out it was right under our noses. We got a little 3G modem (in the form of a thumb drive) that we plug into our computer's USB port and viola! high speed internet.

We did have to sign a two year contract with Verizon, and essentially it's another phone line on our wireless plan. I can track our usage of data transfer for the month (we have a limited amount for our plan). It appears that browsing the web is not a data transfer, but updating our business website is. Good to know. I'm not sure about sending e-mail. I'll have to check that.

I will say, it's pretty much as fast as when I'm at work. Right there is our old house. It's so exciting. Especially for Tim. I can be online at work, but Tim can't, so this is very nice for him. If he wants to look something up it doesn't take him an hour like with dialup.

It doesn't take long to connect like dial up either. And it doesn't tie up our phone line. Now we're wondering if we even need that phone line...hmmm.

So far, I'd highly recommend it. We'll see how it all shakes out, but it's looking good!

2 comments:

McBorn said...

Awesome!!! So glad something finally worked out!

Deanna said...

Wow, that WAS a saga. I'm glad it's all settled now. HOW FUN!! When we first got high-speed, we couldn't believe we'd lived with dial-up for so long. We were saying last night that we're usually among the last to get the latest "gadget" or piece of techonology. It's fun to know that we weren't the very last to get high-speed! :)