Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Singing

I still rock Jesse every night and sing to him. Sometimes he sings to me, and it's nothing but sweetness. Well, Simon plopped in the rocker and Jesse started getting worked up so I asked Simon if he wanted to rock with us too. He did of course so I had one boy on each leg.

Then Eli came in, he rarely does that anymore, but he kind of wanted to rock too. So I had him sit on the footstool and put his feet on us so we'd all rock together.

Then we began to pick songs to sing. I said to Jesse, "What should I sing?"

"Hm. How 'bout...., how 'bout...., how 'bout A-B-C-D-E-F-G?"

"Okay," and I start to sing but get interrupted with, "No! I sing it MYself!"

Jesse sings and then he realizes that Eli is facing him and is watching him so he gets a little shy about at the letter L and starts to get shy and mumbles. Then I ask Simon what he wants to sing for us. No go. I suggest that I sing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and he joined me in singing that. Next I asked Eli what he was going to sing for us. He did not seem very interested, so I said, "Well, don't you know any songs?"

"Yeah, I learned one at school."

"Okay well, sing that for us."

"I don't remember it."

"Sounds like you didn't learn it very good."

"It's called 'Hot Cross Buns'; you don't know it."

"Oh I don't? Guess I didn't learn that song in school either," I say with a snicker.

"You do know it?"

"We learned it in school too, but it's been a long time, start it and then I'll remember probably."

"I don't want to. Well, I'll just say the words. Hot cross buns. Hot cross buns. One a penny two a penny."

"Oh yeah! What's the tune?"

"What?"

"You know how you go up and down when you sing the words, like (and I start to sing) A-B-C-D, like that?"

"Oh you can sing it however you want."

"I'm sure you can, but how did they teach you in school?"

"I don't want to do it."

"Oh, well, okay then, guess we won't sing it."

Simon who has been just sitting listening startings singing, to no known tune, "Hot cross bunnies, hot cross bunnies!"

Eli and I laughed and said, "No, it's hot cross buns, not bunnies."

Simon laughed and sang "Hot cross bunnies, hot cross bunnies!" Now Jesse is laughing too.

It was about to go down hill to slap happy crazy if I let it go, so I shushed them and rocked for a minute before sending them to bed. Hot cross bunnies!

1 comment:

Jodie said...

cute!
Such a neat tradition you have, rocking and singing to your boys!