Monday, November 29, 2010

PT Update

PT stands for potty training, so if that's not your thing, check back later!

I had been hoping that with Jesse being home with me over Thanksgiving break that we would have a potty training break-through and cross over into being potty trained for real. He had been doing very well with staying dry, at least when wearing underwear-with a pull-up he was not quite as motivated, but even with that he was doing well. His normal when wearing underwear is to just not poop, or to wait until he had a diaper or pull-up on for nap or bed time and then go. I've still cleaned my fair share of poopy underwear though-yuck!

Wednesday he just held it in, which worries me. Then on Thanksgiving Day, at Tim's parents I tried to keep a close eye on him so I could catch him when he was ready to go, but I missed it. He was playing cars downstairs and then all of a sudden I hear Jesse getting worked up and Tim's dad asking him if he already pooped in his underwear. I rushed downstairs and Jesse was walking funny, a sure sign of poopy underwear. I scooped him up and rushed to the bathroom. He was upset and sort of crying. As I was helping him, I realized he hadn't pooped in his underwear, but that he couldn't hold it in any longer and was crying because he was trying to hold it in and it hurt. So I put him up on the pot and I think he was so relieved, he forgot he was scared to poop on the toilet. And he went, with no added trauma!

There's been no looking back! Of course he gets candy when he goes and he got a prize (hot wheels car) for his first poop at home, but it's all in the name of potty training.

I think he just might be potty trained. I say that because on Sunday evening he had some loose bowels and yet he told us, held it, and made it to the bathroom. So he recognizes what it feels like before it happens and that's what it's all about. Here's hoping we're down to diapers only during sleeping!

1 comment:

Deanna said...

What a big boy! Way to go, Jesse!!