Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dinner Discussions

Sitting at dinner, without any previous disucssion or prompting was the following:
Jesse starts talking, very seriously and grown up.  It's hard to keep a straight face when he does it, but he leaned back in his chair and folded his arms as he said, "We don't eat kitties or dogs, we eat food like meat and salad."

"That's true Jesse," I replied as I looked over at Matt.  Matt's eyes got big and he looked away so as not to bust out laughing.

Jesse, realizing that we are indeed having a serious conversation, continues on, "We eat pigs, and their noses, and salad, and grass."

"No, actually, we don't eat grass.  Lettuce is in the same family as grass, but it's different.  Grass would make us sick."  I can picture him eating grass in the summer so I want to head that off at the pass right now.  And indeed as I'm thinking it, he pretends to be eating grass.

Then he's off to something else and Matt says to me, "Where did that come from?"  I laughed and told him that one day last week we were talking about animals and what the meat is called when we eat it (pig=pork, cow=beef) and how in different places they don't eat pigs or cows but eat things we would think of as pets like a dog.  How it sparked into his brain just now, I would have no idea which rabbit hole got him there...

No comments: