Monday, December 15, 2014

What's in a nose?

Let me set the stage. We were sitting in church. My mother-in-law's new church to watch the Christmas program.

Jesse was sitting beside me and I saw him pick his nose-I hate that, but I chose to ignore it. A little bit later I see him pick his nose again so I leaned over and say to him quietly, "Do you need a tissue? I'd rather not see you pick your nose."

He looks up at me and as he pulls his finger out of his mouth he says, "Well, it's just that I didn't have much breakfast!" as his voice was quickly turning into a whine.

I frowned at him and whispered, "What does breakfast have to do with picking your nose?"

He frowns back at me and whispers back, "It's just that I'm hungry and there's nothing else to eat."

I just looked at him, puzzled. Then my eyes flew open in surprise and disgust as I realize what he's talking about. He's talking about eating his boogers.

As soon as my eyes go wide Jesse realized what he has really said and he opens his mouth tall in an effort to not smile as he waits to see what I'm going to do. Then since he can't hold back his snicker he starts to cover his face with his hands, all the while watching me to see what my reaction will be.

I can't hold it in, I turn away from him as I start to shake with laughter and the harder I try to hold it in the harder I laugh. You know how that is, the more you try to stop the more funny it becomes until you just can't control it. Pretty soon I was wiping tears from my eyes. Jesse was laughing just as hard beside me. Then all the other boys (and husband) were wanting in on the joke, but I couldn't even talk.

That Jesse.

And note to self: feed the boys more breakfast.

No comments: