Monday, October 16, 2006

I need to tell you something

“I need to tell you something,” Noah says most every night at bed time when I am closing the door, to have just one more minute of wake time, of time with me, before the door is shut.

I keep my head poked through the door and say, “OK, what?” Knowing what he’ll say next; and the smile creeps onto my face. Even if I have just had a battle getting everyone ready for bed and Simon is crying because he’s tired and ready to nurse. Even then, the smile comes. That Noah knows how to make me smile; he’s just like his daddy.

“Do you know the Muffin Man?” he asks.

I laugh, “No, I don’t know the Muffin Man!”

Can you tell that Shrek is his favorite movie? I wish he didn’t like it so much, since it’s not really a movie for a 2 year old, but he does. I didn’t realize it wasn’t a “kid” movie by my standards when he first watched it. I have since learned to look at the ratings more seriously.

The kicker last night was that Simon woke up at about 2am (no full night for me yet) and Eli got up then to go to the toilet. As I’m helping Eli get covered back up, Noah sits up in bed and says, “I need to tell you something...” see above for how the story turns out! Who does that at 2 in the morning?!?

Eli does the same thing, which I’m sure is where Noah gets it. Only he actually tells you something instead of asking a question like Noah. Eli’s statement always is, “I like your shirt.” He’s so kind, and he wants to keep talking to you and say something nice and that’s all he can usually come up with.

Last week we’re on the way home from daycare and the boys were melting down for some reason or another so I called Tim on the cell phone since that always seems to work at getting them calm. I hand Eli the phone and after the ‘how was your day’ type questions were over and Eli didn’t want to get off the phone, he says to Tim, “I like your shirt!” I, of course, crack up—he’s on the phone and can’t see Tim’s shirt, but more than that Tim would be wearing his work uniform, and I just couldn’t help laughing knowing that Tim was laughing as he’s driving his big brown truck.

No comments: