Saturday, February 10, 2007

One more in the Kingdom

Last night I was reading Eli and Noah a couple of books before bedtime, the first was "I love you This Much" with the Nutbrown Hare and then we read "In Case You Ever Wonder." I always have a hard time reading that one because at the end it talks about how we'll be together forever in heaven, and when I think of leaving my boys I always get choked up.

Last night when it was done, I asked Eli if he knew what he needed to do to get to heaven. He said no, and I explained that you have to ask Jesus to live in your heart and then you'll go to heaven. Eli says, "So if you don't go to heaven you just stay under the ground?" That sounded about right for a four year old, so I said yeah.

I told him that Jesus lives in my heart so when I get old and die I'll go to heaven. He's looking at me pretty funny and I asked him if he wanted to ask Jesus to live in his heart. He said "Yeah, but I want you to do it for me." I told him he had to do it but that I'd help him. So we prayed a little sinners prayer and he asked Jesus to live in his heart.

Then we talked about now if we die, we'll be together forever. He just smiled really big. Then right away, he looks over at Noah and says, "What about Noah?" I tried to explain God would let Noah go to heaven if he died since he was just a little boy and didn't understand yet.

It was such a tender moment, and I was glad I was there and got to help him. Lately I have really refocused to the focus of raising my three boys to be the men God wants them to be and I think this is our first significant step! I've been laying the foundation, and now we can start the building!!

It makes the other other stuff I was stressed out about this week seem insignificant, which it is.

1 comment:

Qtpies7 said...

What a sweet, precious moment to share with your child. I think it is such a blessing when a parent gets to participate in thier child's acceptance of the Lord. None of my children did it with someone, they told us later that they had prayed for salvation. Maybe my little two....

I'm having a birth story contest at my blog, and you are invited to play along if you'd like!