Sunday, February 11, 2007

Self Medicating

Okay, so my last post was about Eli getting saved, and now I'll tell you about how horrible of a mother I am.

I was running a slight fever yesterday and couldn't breath, so I spent most of the day on the couch. About lunch time I was nursing Simon and Noah went to the kitchen to take back an empty cup. He was gone for longer than it should have taken so I had Eli run in to see what Noah was doing. Eli comes back and says that Noah is messing with Simon's medicine. I wasn't that worried about it since it was in a bottle with a safety cap, but Eli said Noah had it open. So I sent Eli back to tell Noah to put the bottle down and come to Mommy.

Noah came right away, thankfully. Later, I went in the kitchen and on the table was the bottle of medicine, with the lid off. "Great!" I'm thinking, but he didn't spill any, so we wouldn't have to get more.

Then at dinner Eli and Noah start talking about how Noah was drinking the medicine earlier. Turns out he did drink some! I don't know how much, but some, more than a dose. It had been over six hours so if he was going to have some kind of reaction, I think the time had passed.

The worst part is that it is a fairly strong antibiotic, and after a couple of ear infections back to back last year, Noah had diarrhea for about 10 months off and on from them. We have just gotten it under control since Christmas, mostly. I hope this doesn't give us a set back. I can't tell you how tired I am of cleaning it up, and putting cream and powder on him from the rashes, and how tired of it he is.

I think we are in the clear, he seems fine, his usual self, ornery as it may be. Oh, that kid!

No comments: