Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Shots

I took Simon to get his last round of shots until kindergarten last week. I hate making them get shots. He was big enough to really cry and be fairly freaked out by them, but small enough to not understand what was going on. It was rather traumatizing for all parties involved.

Eli of course was up for his kindergarten shots. He wanted Simon to go first, so he could watch. In retrospect, maybe not the best idea.

We go to the county clinic since our insurance doesn't pay for immunizations, and I have to say the lady who does the shots is just excellent. The kids sit on the table with their knees at the end of the table and she leans against their legs so they can't kick and then the parent holds their arms. I always lean down with them and talk into their ears and love on them a little.

When it was Eli's turn and he started wimpering and had tears in his eyes before he even sat on the table. He sat down and I told him we would have to pull his pants down, and he insisted he could just pull up his pants leg up far enough and he didn't need to pull them down.

I had to show him he couldn't get them pulled up far enough and then he conceded to pull them down.

To Eli's credit he didn't try to squirm or kick or anything, but man did that kid scream in my ear! Then poor little Simon, who by this time was quietly sitting on the chair looking at his new book, started crying with sympathy and because he did't know what the heck was going on with Eli.

Afterwards, Eli told everyone he "got shot" and "screamed in Mom's ear."

He knows that he had to get his shots before he was allowed to go to kindergarten and he knows that when he's 5 he'll go to kindergarten, so he's also been telling people that he's five now. I guess since I said, "Well, you're ready for kindergarten now!" once we were done with his shots he figured he must be five now too. I didn't mean to confuse the poor kid!

No comments: