Thursday, August 18, 2011

Who's next?

We were coming up the driveway one day, just the boys and me, when Eli said, "Who's next?"

That boy can exasperate me to no end with giving no details as to what he is talking about.  "What are you talking about Eli, you gotta give me something!"

"I mean, who's next to live with us?"

I'm still not quite following so I say, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, we had Mary, and then Bob, and then Matt.  Who's next?"

Then I kind of laughed to myself, and said out loud, "I have no idea Eli.  We didn't know Bob would live with us, or Matt, it just happened to work out, so once Matt is gone, there may be someone, or there may be no one.  I have no idea."

"Oh, okay."

My sister lived with us for five years, then we had about two years of just us, then our friend Bob needed a short term place until the house he was buying was vacated, so he lived with us about six months, and then as soon as he moved out our nephew Matt moved in and has been with us for a year, and will be for the foreseeable future.  After that, who knows!  I did get to thinking about it and wondering if it's odd that our boys will think it's normal to have someone other than our core family living in our house with us.  I don't know.  When I was in high school my step-dad's sister and her two year old lived with us for a year or so (I shared my room with her and my sister shared with the daughter).  Tim's parents took in my brother for a year when we were all in college, so I guess maybe that's the kind of people we are.  Interesting to ponder, I'd never thought of it before.

No comments: